Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Extra! Extra! Read All About It! (Blog Post #1)

 

A scene from the Disney movie "Newsises" released April 10, 1992


    From the time Newsies ran around the street with a satchel full of newspapers singing about how fine of a life they are having, carrying the banner to the people of New York (for my musical lovers out there, you know what I mean). To the digital age, where everyone has access to news all over the world. USA Today states, that 3,000 outlets that call themselves newsrooms in America. Let me repeat that. In America alone there are over 3,000 news outlets alone not including the thousands of other outlets such as blogs, podcasts, and smaller content creators.  It sure puts into perspective just how much information is available to us. Additionally, each of these outlets stand apart from each other (for the most part), by dealing with differing political issues and perspectives, coming from different backgrounds, pleasing their consumers, and wanting to tell their side of the story. It truly can be scary understanding what media is false or disagrees with you and or the masses. Which is why it might be helpful to view other’s favorite media/news outlets to see what you should look for in an outlet. Anytime I want to see what is going on in the world I first turn towards my friends and family, then YouTube, Instagram, New York Times, and finally Entertainment Weekly. 

 

         

   When I am in the unknown about certain news bits or simply want to know what is going on in the world, I turn to the people that I do know, who are in the know (a lot of knows). My family is the first people I turn to when it comes to gaining information. Because both of my parents are in the military, they are up to date on all the need-to-know information when it comes to the government. This has come in handy several times during my Government Class in High School. While I grew up, I sort of adapted similar perspectives on information to that of my parents. So, I know I can always trust them to keep me up to date when I fall behind. Friends are another great way of obtaining all sorts of news. Mostly everyone here at High Point comes from a different town and or state, thus it would be reasonable to believe they all have learned from different news outlets whether it be local or statewide. I remember there was one time where my friend on one side was talking about the major Texas power crisis in 2021, while the friend on the other side was talking to me about the peaceful protests in Okinawa Japan. It truly broadened my perspective. However, one must take this outlet with a grain of salt because its already filtered information. When you ask your friend and or family for the news in certain places or in general, you are asking for what they had seen that caught their attention. This means that you may not be receiving the information you are interested in nor is that information that you do receive correct as the source they retrieved it from is mostly unknown.

 

           

     Now if you want to find a News source on your own, one of the most entertaining outlets that I use is YouTube. When I am not distracted by gaming videos or movies that have been “legally” placed there, I am utilizing this source to obtain updates from all over the world. The greatest thing about YouTube is that it can benefit both visual and auditory learners. Visual learns, which is the category I fall under, need to have a picture or a video to watch (that relates to the topic) while the information is given to them. It helps them better understand the words said along with it. It also shows real world actions rather than just words on a page. YouTube is also just a great way of obtaining updates and information in large chunks in short periods of time. With so many content creators on the platform there are several, who dedicate their channel to only give news updates. This could mean that they have taken several weeks and even months’ worth of information and have compiled a single video to update the viewer. Or they have taken one bit of News and expand on it. Either way it allows the viewer to access News information easily and quickly. Like the previous source of news. Biases and false information can be a sneaky factor that many may not notice, but if you look at the content creator or channel to make sure they are creditable (or at least somewhat) these factors are not as present. Just don’t fall down the rabbit hole of watching a news article about killer whales spotted near the California coast to listening to baby shark for five hours straight…believe me it happens.   

 

 

    Instagram is another news source I use on a weekly bias…or at least have started to use on a weekly bias. I was never a fan of social media; I was always so worried that it would make me addicted or that I would post something I would regret the rest of my life (I was a bit dramatic there…but honestly, I was worried when it came to social media). Which it wasn’t until I was 18 years old and going to college when I receive my first social media/news outlet-Instagram. Because everyone has access to it, all sorts of information can be spread and sent out. While the platform does have censorship, for the most part obtaining local news and countrywide news is easily done. 

 

    New York Times for me is the number one News Outlet for me. To me it contains the most accurate and uncensored information. Not only can you view the political climate of today, but you can obtain information on certain best-selling books, food, and even real estate. It’s crazy that there is such a wide variety on this news outlet. It also makes me feel very fancy when I read the paper version. The information that they provide at least to me is very diverse. It shows differing perspectives on certain topics (not all) thus giving the reader the facts so that they may make a choice on what they believe is right and wrong. This news outlet is liberal, which explains why it is very open to providing differing perspectives. It is over all one of my favorite outlets to use when looking for possible sources for a research paper or just wanting to peruse through the food section and figure out what I want for lunch.

 


 

    The final News outlet I will recommend is a special one too me because of my own interested. Entertainment Weekly. Because I have a strong interest in perusing acting as a career reading about what is going on in the industry whether it be music, tv shows, movies, and award ceremonies, will benefit me in the long run. There are also some interesting articles that I will read to past the time when I am bored such as, why Adam West’s Batman was the best batman…my personal favorite is Lego batman, but I may be in the minority with that opinion.  While it may sound silly, but I feel as though in a way this News source is preparing me for the industry that I want to enter in, which brings me some confidence that I am starting now rather than later.

 

 

While I love these News outlets, it may not be for everyone. That is why you must find what is right for you. There are so many outlets out there, one is bound to pique your interest eventually. And if all fails…you can always become a hermit leaving society for good to live on your own like Henry David Thoreau did…. but I don’t recommend it. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment